March 21, 2013 | By: Cynthia Marcano

ACR: Beyond These Hills Sandra Robbins

Title - Beyond These Hills
Author - Sandra Robbins
320 pages
Time It Took for to Read - 1 Week
Rating - 4 out of 5 Stars

Set in Smoky Mountains of Tennessee in 1935, Laurel is a smart and family loving young woman who is in danger of losing the home and that she was born and raised in as well as everyone who lives in mountain community of Cades Cove.

Straight from Virginia on a mission to get the landowners of Cades Cove to agree to sell their land, Andrew is out of his league. A chance (or inevitable) meeting with Laurel sends him (and her) reeling with emotions. With their opposing views about the Mountains and a lot of other things, a relationship seems impossible.

What I Loved...

It was a love story about a young couple, older couples and with Christ.

What I Liked...

Traditional Christian values. It was a clean novel and the use of scripture was warranted not forced.  *SPOILER ALERT. I liked how Andrew doubted God and Christianity. I liked that he asked all of the questions and made his doubt known. It made his character genuine. That made the novel more real to me. It connected me to him. I wanted him to begin to have faith and when he gave his life to Christ, I was so happy for him. It reminded me of how I felt when I experienced what he had. END OF SPOILER***

Other

The cover is probably how Sandra Robbins, the author, envisions Laurel. But while the version in my head isn't much different, I pictured her hair much longer and fuller; specifically her braid. I imagine a long full braid.

Disclaimer: This AC eBook was provided through NetGalley for free. My review is my own opinion and I was not compensated for my review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment