May 7, 2016 | By: Cynthia Marcano

Magnolia Duchess by Beth White


Magnolia Duchess
Author - Beth White
Rating - 4 out of 5 Stars
Would I Recommend: Probably

Back Cover...

Fiona Lanier is the only woman in the tiny Gulf Coast settlement of Navy Cove. While her shipbuilding family races to fill the demand for American ships brought by the War of 1812, Fiona tries to rescue her brother who was forced into service by the British Navy.

Lieutenant Charlie Kincaid has been undercover for six months, obtaining information vital to the planned British invasion of New Orleans. When a summer storm south of Mobile Bay wrecks his ship and scatters the crew, Charlie suffers a head injury, ultimately collapsing in the arms of a beautiful mermaid who seems eerily familiar. As Charlie's memory returns in agonizing jags and crashes, he and Fiona discover that falling in love may be as inevitable as the tide.

But when political loyalties begin to collide, they'll each have to decide where their true heart lies.

What I Loved...

Fiona Lanier is a fun heroine to read. Unpredictable and often unladylike, Fiona brings this story to life in the midst of American History turmoil.

Character Charlie Kincaid isn't far behind. He isn't your typical hero and often times I wanted to strangle him but only because I cared about him as a character. Strange, I know.

Like the other books in this series, I love the interracial relationships throughout this book and the series. Especially that race wasn't always an obstacle in each love story (in the entire series). Sometimes it was and sometimes it wasn't an issue at all.

What I Liked...

I have always loved American History and author Beth White, puts the reader right in the battlefield. Literally. I don't know much about Lousiana/West Florida history so a few times, it was a bit overwhelming but I got through it.

Other...

I have read, Magnolia Duchess's predecessor, The Creole Princess, so I was familiar with a few of the characters that made appearances in this book and were ancestors to the current characters, but holy moly, there were LOTS of family ties that were overwhelming. Charlie Kinkaid even joked about it and I couldn't agree more. I believe Beth White has a family tree posted on her website. I wish I had seen that BEFORE I read the book.

The cover is beautiful and ties in with the others in the series. I didn't quite picture Fiona that way, but it's still a nice cover.


Disclaimer: This book was provided by the publisher through Revell Book Publishers. The opinion of this book, is my own and I was not paid or compensated for my review.


0 comments:

Post a Comment