January 2, 2015 | By: Cynthia Marcano

Review: Beyond All Dreams by Elizabeth Camden


Beyond All Dreams
Author - Elizabeth Camden
Rating - 4.5 out of 5 Stars
Would I Recommend: Yes!

Back Cover...

Anna O'Brien leads a predictable and quiet life as a map librarian at the illustrious Library of Congress until she stumbles across a baffling mystery of a ship disappeared at sea. She is thwarted in her attempts to uncover information, but her determination outweighs her shyness and she turns to a dashing congressman for help.

Luke Callahan was one of the nation's most powerful congressmen until his promising career became shadowed in scandal. Eager to share in a new cause and intrigued by the winsome librarian, he joins forces with Anna to solve the mystery of the lost ship. Opposites in every way, Anna and Luke are unexpectedly drawn to each other despite the strict rules forbidding Anna from any romantic entanglement with a member of Congress.

From the gilded halls of the Capitol, where powerful men shape the future of the nation, to the scholarly archives of the nation's finest library, Anna and Luke are soon embroiled in secrets much bigger and more perilous than they ever imagined. Is bringing the truth to light worth risking all they've ever dreamed for themselves?

What I Loved...

Luke, Luke and Luke! Yes, the hero Luke Callahan is my kind of main character. I always find that I end up really liking a book if I really love the main male character. I love a book a when I love both leads. In this case however Luke really won me over and I just loved his charm, confidence, conviction and no nonsense attitude. He is main reasson to read this book.

I love history so I got really excited to see that the book took place in Washington DC in the Library of Congress! It was like exploring WDC history.

What I Liked...

Anna O'Brien, the heroine, was spunky and smart. I really liked her and admire her character. I really liked that she wasn't painted as some sophisticated, gorgeous woman. She could be a real librarian in a real tow,  with real issues, winning the heart of an awesome man.

Other...

Whenever I read a book that entail actual places and people, I like to see photos and read some actual facts at the end of the books about the settings and period. It makes the story so much more richer to me. President MckInley is mentioned as is Theodore Roosevelt and the Capitol Building, bustling streetcars and Library of Congress building are the main settings of the book. However this advanced copy that I received does not include photos or any historical notes. Fooey.

Author Elizabeth Camden, is quickly becoming a fave author of mine with her ability to combine American history with romance in a beautiful and melodic way. She easily peeks my interest to learn more about the settings she draws us in to as readers while still captivating me with the romance in the book. I wish the book could have been longer.


Disclaimer: This book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley/Bethany House. The opinion of this book, is my own and I was not paid or compensated for for my review.


0 comments:

Post a Comment