December 16, 2014 | By: Cynthia Marcano

Wishing Season by Denise Hunter


Wishing Season
Author - Denise Hunter
Rating - 4 out of 5 Stars
Would I Recommend: Yes

Back Cover...

She daydreams of whipping up sauces and souffles in her own restaurant. His heart is set on helping foster children. Both dreams are at stake. So are their hearts.With grand plans to open her own bed & breakfast in Chapel Springs, PJ McKinley can't afford the most crucial part: the brick and mortar. But when the owner of a local historic home announces a contest and promises her property to the worthiest candidate, PJ makes a fervent wish and tosses her name into the hat.

Cole Evans is cool, confident, and successful, but he'll never forget his roots. He's thankful for how far he's come and knows his life could have turned out drastically different. If he can win the stately old mansion, he'll turn it into a home for children aging out of the foster system.

When the eccentric house owner narrows the entries down to only two applicants, she extends the contest, giving PJ and Cole one year to prove which one of them can make the best use of her beloved home. As the pair competes in close proximity, something deeper than rivalry sparks between PJ and Cole. And in this battle, they're likely to lose their hearts.

What I Loved...

This was one of those books where the characters are written very well that I feel like they are real people and I know them. Denise did a great job making them real, human, flawed, believable and likable. I felt, and a few days later still feel a vested interest in these characters.

What I Liked...

The storyline is quite unique and I liked that I had no idea how their dilemma was going to be resolved.  I got caught up in who would win the house as much as PJ and Cole had.

Other...

The cover to this book is supercute, BUT not how I pictured either character. Based off of the cover alone and the time of release, I expected more of a Christmas/Winter themed book, but I was wrong. It actually spans a few seasons.

I haven't read the other books in the series and sometimes felt a lost when reading parts where the characters from previous books where involved in conversation or being spoken of. It became a little overwhelming trying to remember who was who and married to who and what who did. Now  I am confusing myself. In any case, I would recommend reading the other books BEFORE reading this one as I did.

There were a few things I didn't like. First, I felt like the story involving PJs ex boyfriend was lacking. He kind of entered the book late and it felt thrown in and then I felt like as a reader I was left hanging. I didn't like how that storyline wrapped up. Actually it just sort of was forgotten about and not wrapped but.

However, since I didn't read the other books, I am not sure if there is more to that story in previous books or will wrap up completely in her next book.

I don't particularly like when an author refers to a character resembling a specific athlete, actor, person, etc... In the Wishing Season, it is written that Cole, the hero, looks like Tom Brady, the Patriots quarterback. In fact its mentioned several times. I personally do not happen to believe that Mr. Brady is good looking and I had to fight really hard as a reader to erase that image from my head. I eventually did (even though she kept trying to remind me) and I managed to envision an actual handsome Cole in my head that I could fall in love with as a reader. Part of what makes me loves books is falling in love with the hero. If you are fond of Tom Brady's face, than you may very well love this book. Please do not be offended by my personal opinion.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley. The opinion of this book, is my own and I was not paid or compensated for for my review.


0 comments:

Post a Comment