July 28, 2016 | By: Cynthia Marcano

Review: A Heart Most Certain


A Heart Most Certain
Author - Melissa Jagears
Rating - 5 out of 5 Stars
Would I Recommend: Yes

Back Cover...

While Lydia King's reasons for joining the Teaville Moral Society might be suspect to some members, her heart is in the right place. Because of her father's debts and her mother's persistent illness, her best chance at a secure future and curing her mother is to impress the politician courting her. Her first task--to ask the town's wealthiest man to donate--seems simple enough . . . until he refuses.

 Despite appearances, Nicholas Lowe wants to help others, but prefers to keep his charity private. When Lydia proves persistent, they agree to a bargain, but Nicholas still intends to do things his own way. Neither predicts what they'll learn about true charity or foresee the complications their actions will bring to the town, forcing Lydia to decide where her beliefs and heart truly align.

What I Loved...

Nicholas Lowe, oh how I love thee. Not because he's rich, heaven forbid, or because he is so handsome, but because of his deep seeded love for the Lord and ministry. His genuine desire to help those who were deemed soiled and his ability to see through "Christians," spoke to my heart.

Although this is a historical romance, much of the behaviors of the Christians then still apply today. I applaud Jagears for taking a road less often traveled in CF and not just writing about a typical villain whose greed or violence is what makes him the antagonist but about Christians that accept what is popular as appropriate or turn a blind eye in order to save their reputation or not get too involved.

But Jagears didn't stop there, she touched on the church body as a whole, from the Pastor and his wife on down and how we can get caught up in Pharisaical living and don't even recognize it.

I know this sounds like it is a preachy book, but what makes this such a gread read, is that it ABSOLUTLEY ISN'T. It's just great story telling. Jagears simply told a story that convicts or inspires, depending on the reader.

What I Liked...

Usually, I'll add the romance, comedy and swoon worthy in the "What I Love..." section and while I did love the beautiful romance between Lydia and Nicholas, it took a backseat to the message of the book, so I downgraded the romance a little. But let me be clear, the chemistry between Lydia and Nicholas lit up page after page and I found myself missing the other whenever they weren't written together. Crazy, I know. Lydia and Nicholas are in my Top 10 favorite couples in CF. They are that great together. I hope they make an appearance in book 2 of the Teaville Moral Society Series.

Other...

The cover is nice, although I wish I could have seen Lydia's clear blue eyes, that are so often mentioned.




Disclaimer: This book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley. The opinion of this book, is my own and I was not paid or compensated for my review.


0 comments:

Post a Comment