October 20, 2014 | By: Cynthia Marcano

Review: Buttermilk Sky by Jan Watson


Buttermilk Sky
Author - Jan Watson
Time It Took for to Read - 3 Days
Rating - 3.75 out of 5 Stars
Would I Recommend: Probably Not
Weary of the expectations imposed on her by her strict upbringing, eighteen-year-old Mazy Pelfrey prepares to leave her home in the Kentucky mountains for the genteel city of Lexington, where she'll attend secretarial school. She knows her life is about to change--and only for the better. Everything will be blue skies from now on.But business school is harder than she thought it would be and the big city not as friendly, until she meets a charming young man from a wealthy family, Loyal Chambers. When Loyal sets his sights on her, Mazy begins to see that everything she'd ever wished to have is right before her eyes. The only hindrance to her budding romance is a former beau, Chanis Clay, the young sheriff she thought she'd left firmly behind.Danger rumbles like thunder on a high mountain ridge when Mazy's cosseted past collides with her clouded future and forces her to come to terms with what she really wants.

What I Loved...

I hardly ever read Historical Fiction that revolves around young adults actually being young adults. Lots of historical fiction novels may have young adult characters, but they are usually thrust into mature situations (death of parents, raising siblings, moving out west, marrying and raising families), so it was nice to read a historical fiction novel that was also like reading a YA novel. A very nice blend. It was different for me.

What I Liked...

Jan Watson did a good job of showcasing real yound adult/teenage problems in a way that wasn't childish or immature. It made the book more realistic to me as a reader, therefore making the characters more realistic to me as well.

Other...

I love the book cover! I took the book with me to my daughter's play rehearsal and sat quietly in the back of the sanctuary and read. A few people who passed notoced the cover an asked what I was reading. The cover peeked interest.

I can't quite put my finger on why I wasn't in love with this book. The plot fell flat for me. While I am used to reading from different POVs throughout the book, I found there was no connection between them in Buttermilk Sky. The opening storyline was interesting, but didn't have much to do with the main character.

I guess the story didn't flow and the storylines didn't mesh well.

My Character Images...



Chanis Clay
(with no spikes in his hair)


Loyal Chambers


Disclaimer: This book was provided by the publisher through Tyndale. The opinion of this book, is my own and I was not paid or compensated for for my review.

0 comments:

Post a Comment