August 31, 2015 | By: Cynthia Marcano

Review: Bathsheba by Angela Hunt


Bathsheba: Reluctant Beauty
Author - Angela Hunt
Rating - 3 out of 5 Stars
Would I Recommend: Probably

Back Cover...

After sending his army to besiege another king's capital, King David forces himself on Bathsheba, a loyal soldier's wife. When her resulting pregnancy forces the king to murder her husband and add her to his harem, Bathsheba struggles to protect her son while dealing with the effects of a dark prophecy and deadly curse on the king's household.

Combining historical facts with detailed fiction, Angela Hunt paints a realistic portrait of the beautiful woman who struggled to survive the dire results of divine judgment on a king with a divided heart.

What I Loved...

Throughout the bible, we often see Bathsheba as David's lover, grieving mother and David's wife. Although we know is she also the mother of Solomon, I admit that I have never really explored that relationship while reading. Author Angela Hunt focused a lot of Bathsheba, as the devoted mother of Solomon. It is my favorite element of the book.

What I Liked...

Biblical Fiction can get a little tricky and you have to remember that fiction is intertwined with actual biblical accounts and I had to mentally check myself to not blur the lines. That is good writing!

Other...

The cover is beautiful. I love it!

I have read and loved biblical fiction and its probably a hard genre to write because you have to remember to keep what is factual in tact while adding your own fictional plots and twists. However, I feel like Bathsheba's plot fell short for me. I think Angela is a really good writer and I would read more of her books, but I think the fictional plot she choose just didn't do it for me. Whether Bathsheba willing slept with David and committed adultery or whether she was raped  isn't known. Hunt choose to center her plot around the latter, but how the book unfolded from that point of view left me wanting.

The book is a good book, just not for me.

Disclaimer: This book was provided by the publisher through Netgalley. The opinion of this book, is my own and I was not paid or compensated for for my review.


0 comments:

Post a Comment