August 6, 2014 | By: Cynthia Marcano

Review: A Trusting Heart by Mary Anderson


A Trusting Heart
Author - Mary Anderson
Time It Took for to Read - 3 Days
Rating - 4 out of 5 Stars
Would I Recommend: Maybe
WILL THE HORRORS OF THE PAST EVER ALLOW HIM TO TRUST HER WITHOUT RESERVE?

The untimely death of Susannah Smith’s dear husband left her fumbling to pick up the pieces and mend her broken heart. With her financial situation growing increasingly desperate, Susannah finally determines to sell her late husband’s candle shop. Never could she have anticipated what she would find within its walls when she entered the abandoned building. Nor could she erase from her mind the image of the stranger’s dark, haunted eyes staring back at her. Will he prove to be the answer to her prayers, or the cause of her complete and utter destruction?

Josiah Richards is a man with a past. The horrors he has seen and endured shadow every step he takes. When a vibrant, young widow tries to heal his wounds and his black heart, the pain is nearly unbearable. Will he ever be able to trust her with his darkest secrets? Or will his past catch up to him and end his only chance at happiness and love?

Why I Decided To Read This...

I am a member of Goodreads and found this wonderful game named Scattegories. Its all about finding and reading books with a certain criteria. I decided to read A Trusting Heart because the heroine's name is Susannah Smith and our categories criteria was Female Main Character Name and the letter S. So I get two points baby!

Yep, thats the reason I'm reading it. Nothing to do with the cover, athough I like it. Nothing to do with the back cover description, although it sounded like a good read. Nope, none of the typical things most readers look for in a book. Sorry if that diappoints you.

What I Loved...

I loved how deep and profound Susannah loved. She was a wonderful heroine to read.

What I Liked...

This love story is so touching and real. I hurt when they hurt. I was happy when they were happy. I wanted to cry when they cried. It is a really nice heart warming story. I have never read a Christain Historical Fiction of Colonial era (not that I recall anyway) and I was a little skeptical, but I was pleasantly surprised and I plan to read more by author Mary Anderson and this era.

Other...

I realize that the more I read, the pickier I become. I used to be so easy to please. I wish it weren't so. I liked reading almost anything and being content. I always try to find the best in every book I read but lately its been harder finding the things that I love in book. I can like a book plenty, but finding what I love has become like digging for gold on the East Coast of the US. (For some reason I pictured the animated movie Pocahontas when the settlers are digging for gold and not finding any.) Forgive my ranting, I am usually a night writer and its only 10 am.

Anyway! I didn't read the first book in the series and I should have. I always feel like I am the new kid in school when I read a book in a series and didn't read the one prior. I feel like I am missing some important information that happened last year in school when I didn't attend.

This book most certainly does that. While the main characters are minor characters in book 1, their story began there and leaves you wanting to know what happened.

So my advice is read the first book in this series first. I know its common sense to do so, but I thought I'd mention it anyway, in case there is any one out there like me. =)


0 comments:

Post a Comment